SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#317109 - 02/20/11 03:53 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Diki]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Breaking apart a band, and then going after the same gigs as a solo has all kinds of ethical questions and possible outcomes...

Maybe I need to explain more of the history...

First off, I'm the only one doing this full time...

Secondly, it was the guys in the band who informed me 3-4 years ago that they didn't want to travel to various existing clients anymore because it was too far away for them. I had a choice to either walk away from the account and find some way to replace the revenue or negotiate a new rate for a solo act. I also warned them that if they left certain gigs, word would spread what I could do on my own and were they prepared for that? They said yes...word got out how I sounded on own and pretty soon clubs just wanted me back...not the band because of the financial savings but also due to the fact that I held the same sized crowd.

I begged the guys to rehearse, but they would not. They felt we were plenty good enough to hit charts cold and play the tunes just fine. We tried it that way but the new stuff we put in sounded a lot like what we'd taken out. For two years I tried different ways of communicating new tunes. Sending out sheet music, audio files for reference, etc. without any success. It bothered me more and more...I asked them for ideas. They said if its not broken why fix it?

Diki-Out of almost a dozen former band accounts...One...ONE...hasn't kept me. Because they want a band. If I hired 3 people who could barely play, they'd have kept me.

They had every opportunity over the last few years to work with me on quality. They basically refused to across the board. They showed up, played the same tunes we usually did, got their money and left. They either didn't notice or didn't care the crowds at most clubs were slowly dying off. If we'd been able to rehearse a few times a month, it could've made the difference.

They are welcome to stay together, replace me and continue making music. Problem is they've already tried this but no one seems to want to hire them. There was a night last August where I couldn't be there and they hired a replacement. I tried to help them organize the night so it would be a success. I was told "don't worry about it, we'll be fine." So I backed off. Within 72 hours after the gig I'd had 3 phone calls from clients and one from the club complaining.

They'd told me it went just fine...

I think it has to do with pride, professionalism and quality. I work my ass off to keep my shows fresh, with new tunes on a constant basis, etc. While they're all great guys, they're not that motivated or organised to put together a new project.

The client who insists on using band btw, told one of my former bandmates they had no interest in using them unless I was involved.

If they took it as seriously as I do, worked as hard as I have and were as critical of themselves as I am-then I'm sure they could put together a terrific project and work on a regular basis.

#317114 - 02/20/11 04:28 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Well, of course, WE are all perfect, and it's ONLY the other musicians that have issues, eh?! wink

Never said that ... but now that you mention it ... dancers

#317122 - 02/20/11 05:53 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In my case, when I wore a younger man's shoes, the guys were damned good musicians. However, when it came down to the nitty-gritty, booking the jobs, doing the promotions, setting up the sound system, you name it--they just didn't cut it. Sure, they showed up, played the music, took an equal share, then went home.

Fast forward 40 years. Most of them never pursued music as a means of making a living, the vast majority didn't claim it on their income tax returns, and those that are still alive today couldn't keep time if someone paid them a million bucks. Was it fun to play with them? You bet it was.

When it came to reliability, in the early days they were always on time. They even took time to practice at least once a week. After a few years, though, the excuses were enough to drive you insane. Some didn't show up for jobs, didn't call to make those stupid excuses, and some got plastered halfway through the first set.

When I played with a group we NEVER made a good living. In fact, no one in the group made enough to justify the equipment cost. When I went solo, which was more years ago than I would like to recall, I no longer had the issues of working with guys (and gals) that were playing just for the fun of it.

To me, music, like any other profession, is a serious business. It's one of the things I do to support my household. I'm also an outdoor writer and have been since 1975. That too is a business that I take very seriously. Nearly every musician I know that still makes a living as a performer has transitioned to an OMB entertainer, and all, at one time, were band members. The difference now is, at least for me, strictly a business decision. The jobs, even those at the nursing homes and assisted living centers, are all still fun, and NOW, I make a good living at it.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#317128 - 02/20/11 07:00 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Diki]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My thoughts –
There is no comparison between playing a one-man-band and playing with other musicians. It’s like apples and pears. If it were not for the money and I was able to work with good musicians I might just put away my keyboard. What happens with two or more good musicians is in a class by itself.

If I could bring a good crowd as a one-man-band I feel I would bring many more with a couple of good players. Playing without my keyboard and playing in a group 3 to 5 men allows me freedom to express. I can vary the tempo slightly and then come back adding feeling – and above all I can make choices and changes in seconds.

My last point – I can give my rhythm/solo instrument all my attention. No buttons, just music.

IMHO, John C.

#317158 - 02/21/11 07:53 AM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hello Bill in Dayton,

Have you tried or concidered forming a "band" around your OMB act? For example, if a client wants a four piece you could add maybe two horn players and another vocalist. I'm not too familar with the level of musicianshp in Dayton, but here in Dallas I can find great players that can come in "cold" and sound fantastic backing me up.

I give potencial clients prices for a solo,dou,trio, quartet, and quintet. Since I mostly do Latin music I like to have a percussionist (mostly congas, and bongos) and then a sax/flute, trumpet, trombone, vibes, guitar... Adding a bassist, and drummer is a bit tricky though...

The guys I call can read and improvise really well and know when to lay out.

I like this way of working because I can offer various opptions for clients.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will do great!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#317159 - 02/21/11 08:07 AM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: montunoman]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Through the last 11+ years I've had occasion to work with most of the sidemen and "guns for hire" in the DAY area. Many are fine players.

I think at this point in my career, I'm not very motivated to work with other people. All told, I've almost 20 years playing in bands and right now, I'm not overly interested. I'm sure it would be "good enough" to get by, but that's what I'm trying to move away from. They expect to walk in, set up, be told the key and play...sometimes its been good, sometimes...oh god.... frown

OTOH, I'll readily admit if a good sax player was looking for a steady situation like I could offer, and was willing to rehearse, learn my styles, etc. I'd probably consider it.

My situation is great. I have more work than I can handle, we've just one child left in the house and economically, things are more promising than ever. (I'm stunned to find out what they pay advanced practice nurses.)

I see dropping from 420+ shows down to the 275-300 range and working on CD's. That may be another nice opportunity for a new collaboration with a sax guy. (Hey Randy-Ever been to Dayton?)

#317170 - 02/21/11 10:06 AM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey Bill - Congrats on your work schedule up there! I'd love to work out some music with you! Been to Dayton a time or two and have some friends still living there! wink On the "flip side" - there are some great keyboard players around here but due to economics the trend for most of them is solo work or they are sticking tight with an established band. I lucked out and got hired as a "street musician" during this weekend's Gumbo Festival. They had a Zydeco band in the main park pavillion and they asked me to work the other side of the park as a street player - worked out great and we had the largest festival to date (1800 people). It was fun and the weather could not have been better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm up for collaborating! smile Here's wishing you an early Spring!

Randy

Attachments
RanSaxGumbo.png

Edited by saxxman (02/21/11 10:27 AM)

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#317205 - 02/21/11 01:18 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: saxxman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I understand your logic, the frustration with band practices, drunks, "no-shows", etc.

I too don't have the patience for a lot of that stuff anymore.

Around here, versatility gets you work. I've done what a previous poster suggested. For "group" jobs, I add a couple of horns and a singer or guitar player.

They're all "killers" who can handle the job with no rehearsal at all. It's the format that makes this possible. We (I) do a verse, chorus, and then someone does a verse. I'm back on the chorus and "we're outta there".

Thing is, this only works when I control all aspects of the gig...the instrumentation(with key alterations to make the material comfortable for the extra players chosen)...material, etc. If all fails, I can handle the job on my own.

Trio jobs are different...my grandson and son....rehearsal is a joy.

Large jobs that pay lots are easy. I get a music professor/friend to rehearse the band. Most players are Masters candidates. I come in one afternoon to rehearse my part with the group ONCE, and we're off to the Derby party...whatever.

I would be bored silly just doing singles on an arranger, but, thankfully, I'm back doing guitar singles, piano singles; vocals with other groups, etc.

There are trade offs, but at near retirement age, I'm still cranked at playing in a variety of formats, with a variety of pro players, when there is budget.

This way, "an enjoyable time is had by all".

The End,

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online